The Flower Power reference design highlights Intersil’s 4.5V – 18V input switching regulator. This board utilizes the ISL85005, 5A device as a representative of this full line-up of wide-input switching regulators. Additionally, the board uses the ISL29102 Light to Voltage Sensor, the ISL21080 300nA NanoPower Voltage Reference and the ISL28915 Nano Power, Push/Pull Output Comparator. The board is powered from two Energizer CR2032 3V coin cell batteries and thanks to its low-power design, will be able to deliver over 1000 song cycles.
The Flower Power PCB is shaped like a 5-petal flower and comes in two colors, purple and yellow. It has 5 RGB LEDs on the front and an Intersil ambient light sensor to control the LED brightness. The flower features a Microchip MCU programmed to plays 5 songs while the LED lights flash in random patterns. Additionally the reference design:
- Displays a light pattern for low battery alert
- Automatically enters power savings mode
- Is powered with two CR2032 coin cell batteries; includes suction cup for hanging
- When start button is pressed, LEDs flash in a pattern to the melody of the 5 hippie-era songs: “Do You Believe in Magic,” “Are you Going to San Francisco,” “Here Comes the Sun,” “Age of Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In,” and “Puff the Magic Dragon”
The following Intersil and partner products are featured in this reference design:
- ISL85005 – 4.5V to 18V Input, 5A High Efficiency Synchronous Buck Regulator
- ISL29102 – Low Power Ambient Light-to-Voltage Nonlinear Converter
- ISL21080 – 300nA NanoPower Voltage References
- ISL28915 – Nano Power, Push/Pull Output Comparator
- ATmega328P-AU – picoPower® technology 8-bit AVR® RISC-based (MCU)
- ASPI-0630LR series – Abracon molding type power inductor
- PKLCS1212E4001-R1 – Murata SMD piezoelectric sounder plus 7 capacitors
This reference design is intended to be a fun office adornment. Simply press the button on the back and the flower will play one of 5 classic “Summer of Love” songs and create an eye-pleasing color LED pattern on the petals. It comes with a suction cup hanger that can be used to hang the board on a window or any smooth surface.